Sunday, July 15, 2012

Make a Difference

I traveled a lot today. I'm pretty spent.
As I sat on a plane from Phoenix to Detroit, a really nice lady sat by me. She made my day with just simple conversation. We talked about politics and religion and both together. As we left the aircraft she turned to me and said "Make a difference." This simple statement touched my heart in a way that she will never know.

To her I wish I could say this,

I will make a difference. I decided a few years back that I was going to change the world, but not in the way that many would think. I'm not going into politics, or going to start a non-profit organization that will build hundreds of schools for girls in poverty stricken countries. I'm probably not going to have a million dollars that I can donate to a hospital to help find a cure for cancer or invent some new medical device to save thousands of lives. My name will not be known around the world for fame or glory or recognition of some big accomplishment. But I will be known for being genuine among my family and friends and all those around me. I want to change the world and I will make a difference, but it will be by touching a heart or bringing a smile to just one person. One by one.

I sat by another friend on a flight to Detroit. To him I would say that the Book of Mormon has brought me such indescribable happiness and joy. I hope the time comes when it interests you enough to read it and sincerely ask if it is true. It is an I know it.

Be yourself. You don't have to try to impress anyone when you're just doing your best. They'll like you for who you are and not someone you're trying to be. That's how you'll make a difference. Be your best self.

-Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Am...

My photo
I love learning and traveling all over. I love meeting new people and being outgoing. Most of all I love being grateful and service those around me. I'm kind of hard core--just to warn you. I play rugby for BYU, mountain bike, and I hunt with my dad. I love my family and would do anything for them. Basically... I love life.

What's in my head?

Hunter Hayes-Wanted-
I wanna wrap you up
Wanna kiss your lips
I wanna make you feel wanted
I wanna call you mine
Wanna hold your hand forever
And never let you forget it
Yeah I, wanna make you feel wanted.